February 11, 2008

Brushing Those Tuskies and Keeping the Pipes Clear

Two things I need some advice on:

1. Brushing those baby teeth. Mcclellan has 8 and my biggest problem with them is remembering to brush them! I even have his toothbrush next to ours, but we never remember to brush his. We've tried during bath, on the changing table, at the dinner table. It doesn't help either, that kid hates us trying to stick that thing in there. I've even tried just wiping his teeth with a small washcloth, and he detests that too. Any ideas?

2. Big eater constipation. Kid has always been a great eater and while some of it is probably our fault for "letting" him eat certain things, we have a problem about 2 times a month with constipation. I pretty much let him eat til he stops on his own (which is usually indicated by him sticking his tongue out with the food all over it!), and he eats most everything we do (still no obvious digestive-problem foods like oranges, tomatoes, cucumber, cabbage, lettuce, corn, etc.). I try not to load him up on bananas or bread to avoid constipation, but it seems to happen still more frequently than I'd like. Is this just something normal for big eating kids that I have to get used to, or is there something you could recommend to avoid the painful, fussy F.O.S. baby?

Gracias, chicas!

3 comments:

Stephanie Ellis said...

This is what I tried with Riley...after months of trying. I take her IMMEDIATELY out of the high chair and go straight to the bathroom. It took a long time for her to let me brush her teeth...she always wanted to do it. She likes getting to sit on the bathroom counter and turning the water on and off. I also bought her some toddler toothpaste. I had to be really firm with her for a long time before she finally would let me brush her teeth. After I brush her teeth, she gets to brush them.

Brenda Blake said...

With Savannah, we let her use our toothbrush on us and then she was more willing for us to get into her mouth to brush her teeth. It's more fun to brush mommy and daddy's teeth! My doc told me that at this age, it's more about establishing the habit of twice a day verses getting the teeth clean, of course if we can get in there to do as much cleaning as we can, that's GOOD!

I didn't do this with Savannah because I waited too long. Another thing that my ped recommended, is that I wipe Luke's gums with a washcloth twice a day just to get him used to me going into his mouth at an early age. We'll see how that goes. Savannah already had about 4 teeeth when I started with her, and she LOVED to bite, so that was no fun!

Happy brushing!

Melissa M. said...

I have Evan brush his teeth when I do, so he watches me do it and tries very hard to do exactly what I do. Sometimes I brush his teeth after I let him do it himself and he has no problems letting me do this. I am more concerned about getting him in the habit of doing it like Brenda had mentioned. He has toddler toothpaste too.