January 10, 2008

Screaming for Advice

Okay girls. So Mcclellan will be 11 mos. old in like, a week. He has taken to the lovely task of making his voice known and testing the limits of its range and pitch...a.k.a., screaming. Its getting too loud, too often and its getting to be in context. Like when he's mad, he screams. When he's being impatient, he screams. When he's bored, he screams. Not screaming like ongoing, warbly screaming. More like a loud, hig-pitched shriek.

Today, out of desperation for a mode of discipline, I flicked his cheek, close to his mouth. I don't want to follow him around all day, flicking him whenever he screams. Right now it consists of: Shriek, flick, accompanied by a firm, "No. Don't scream. Too loud." and then a few tears and a refractory period of clinginess before going on his merry way. To scream again.

AAaAaaAhhH! Any suggestions? Do I just let it go and put up with it as a developmental phase? I don't want him shrieking during church or mealtimes. When do I intervene? And if its okay to shriek now, why isn't it okay 6 mos. from now. Where is the lesson?

Thank you!!

3 comments:

Melissa M. said...

I personally wouldn't worry about it. You have to pick your battles. I think its just normal development. I also think that as long as you keep giving him verbal redirection, he will eventually learn that its not okay. It will just take time, since he's only 11 months.

Brenda Blake said...

I would ignore it or find a distraction. When all else fails, put on some loud music, pick him up and dance around with him, then move onto something else. Another thing would be is to come down to his level and calmy explain that he's being too loud and he needs to use his "indoor" voice and then distract him. He may flick other kids when they are screaming too.

I know, any of these things may or may not work, but worth a try??

I've also heard you can let him see you turn your back and walk away, perferably into another room where he can't see you. He'll understand that his action will not get mommy's attention.

I really think distraction works best at his age.

Christina Joy said...

I like the walk away tip. He totally does it for attention. I stopped the flicking cause I don't want a "flincher" (as Carol calls 'em). He really let one rip during the voters' meeting at church tonight though. It was hilarious.