January 6, 2008

Mac and "Cheese"

Alright, my mom got us a really great cook book for Christmas with all sorts of yummy vegan recipes in it. I know, what you're thinking... vegan? I use real butter instead of margarine so it's not really all that vegan but the recipes are great. Believe me, I had my doubts, but we tried this one and it was great. It uses nutritional yeast which is not the same as brewers yeast. It's yellow and flaky and you can buy it in bulk at the MERC but the new grocery store down town has it for almost 1/4 of the price. Please, if you try this recipe don't tell the people who eat it that it doesn't have cheese in it. We both knew what it was before we tried it so we'd love to know what someone would think who didn't realize there wasn't any cheese.

Cook 3 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup margarine (or butter) over low heat. Beat in 1/2 cup flour with a wire whisk and continue to beat over a med heat until it is smooth and bubbly. Whip in 3 1/2 cups boiling water (I put the water in my kettle when I started the butter melting and it was ready just in time), 1 1/2 teasp salt, 2 Tbs soy sauce (I think next time I'll only use one), 1 1/2 teasp garlic powder, and a pinch of turmeric. Beat well
The sauce should cook until it thickens and bubbles. Then whip in 1/4 cup oil (the recipe doesn't specify so I used canola) and 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes.
Mix sauce with noodles and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes until the "cheese" is melty and yummy looking.

1 comment:

Christina Joy said...

I love that it has turmeric in it! That's just for the yellow "cheesy" look to it! Ha.